Thursday, February 27, 2014

Painless Needles?!

Ouch!
Avoiding the doctors office when I know I need to get a shot of some sort is typical behavior for this girl. The uneasy feeling of a large needle going into my arm just doesn't seem to sit well with me!  But wait, there may be a bright side to my dilemma and anyone else who feels my pain.

The Bite
Japanese scientists have discovered an almost painless needle. Yes, I said painless! With the use of the normally considered pestering mosquito, a mechanical engineer named Seiji Aoyagi and his team have created a semi-painless hypodermic needle. They have based this needle on the proboscis of the mosquito.  You are probably thinking that a mosquito bite does hurt.  But the truth is, the bite is painless. What you feel is the itching due to the bacteria mixing with your blood after the feeding of the mosquito is complete.  The jagged edge of the proboscis is the reason for the painless bite. It only affects a small surface area of the nerves, therefore causing little to no pain.  Aoyagi has created a similar jagged needle to have the same affect on human patients.  The normal smooth needle tends to affect a larger surface area of the nerves, therefore causing more pain.  Aoyagi plans to further his research in hopes to perfect the almost painless needle to be completely patient friendly, and painless!  I may now respect my mosquito bites a little bit more, since they seem to be doing more good than evil!

To read the full story and learn more about how the research was conducted here is the full article: Mosquito inspires near-painless hypodermic needle