Wednesday, April 23, 2014

"You're A Vegetarian? You Must Be Crazy!"

Such a vegetarian!
Every time I tell someone that I am a vegetarian the response I get is, "You're a vegetarian? You must be crazy!" I used to get offended by the response, but over time I realized that many people fear what they do not understand.  My whole life I was taught that meat is something you need in your diet. Many people would say, "Meat is how you get your protein, it is good for you!" Now that I am older and can make food choices for myself, I have become a Lacto-ovovegetarian.



Veggies on the brain
 The definition of vegetarian is someone who does not eat meat, poultry, or fish, but there are different variations to the vegetarian lifestyle.  A Lacto-ovovegetarian is someone who does not eat meat, poultry, or fish but does eat eggs and diary products.  So you may be wondering why I decided to be vegetarian in the first place.  For me it was after I got sick for about a week and did not eat meat that whole time.  Once I was no longer sick and tried to eat meat again the taste was different and I would feel sick after.  My reduction in meat intake was more taste conscious before health.  After I had stopped eating meat for a year or so, I had noticed that I was no longer sick as often and began to lose a significant amount of weight.  Then the second year of my vegetarian lifestyle approached and I still was not sick, except for a sniffle here there.  I also continued to lose weight.  With my new found vegetarian lifestyle came my over thinking ability and I needed to research the benefits of being a vegetarian to see if the results I was seeing were evident in other vegetarians.   I also wanted to inform those who had been blinded their whole lives just like I had been in thinking meat was the only way to go! Here are a few health benefits of becoming a vegetarian; lower risk for chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes, lower risk of cancers, more energy, less chemically processed intake, improved digestion, and healthier skin to name a few. 

Many people believe that meat is the only source of protein when that is not true!  Protein can be found in both PLANT and animal products.  It is a known fact that eating a variety of foods with the right amount of calories throughout the day will complete your protein needs.  I continue to live my life as a Lacto-ovovegetarian for health reasons stated above and also because my body has significantly felt better over the years. Feel free to research this subject yourself and see if this lifestyle is something to look into!
Vegetarian Humor!

To learn more on why many people become vegetarians and on the difference between being a vegan, vegetarian, and Lacto-ovovegetarian read article from Brown University titled Being a Vegetarian.