Monday, July 14, 2014

Cannabis not so bad after all

Medical Cannabis
Ever since I was a little girl I was told the horrible stories about cannabis.  For my younger generation it is known as weed, dope, and Mary-Jane to name a few!  As I grew older, I could not seem to understand why there were so many negative connotations surrounding cannabis.  I mean it grows from the earth for goodness sakes! But I will not get off topic.  I recently came across and article that I am dying to share.  New research has proved how cannabis can be used to decrease tumor growth in cancer patients. 

A group of Scientists from the University of East Anglia were able to use the main psychoactive ingredient found in cannabis to target breast cancer cells. THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) is the main ingredient and the amazing properties it retains are anti-cancer properties. To complete this study mice were induced with samples of human breast cancer to encourage tumors.  Once the tumors were detected in the mice, the THC was used to target the tumors with results showing a decrease in tumor size.


Chemical molecule for THC
Researchers have found that two main receptors in the cannabinoid receptor family are responsible for the tumor shrinkage, but are unaware of exactly which one does so.  The effects of cannabis in the medical world has been of great interest over the years and is steadily increasing.  With this new found result, some of the effects of THC being used at different doses on cancer tumors can now be explained in a more thoroughly.  Pharmaceutical industries can hope to work towards a future where safe synthetic counterparts can be created that have similar anti-cancer properties as THC.  

This was one of my favorite blog posts to present to you!  I am intrigued with the new research surrounding ways to fight cancer and will enlighten you each time I found something new on this topic.  I hope that one day scientists have the technology and research to do exactly what no one ever thought was possible, cure cancer!

To read the full article and how the doctor mentions that patients "should not be tempted to self-medicate" (lol) click here: How cannabis compound could slow tumor growth